How do I become a patient of Geriatric Specialty Care (GSC)?

If you live at home, you must call our office at 775-398-1981 to   be screened for admission      criteria.  If you live in a group home or assisted living facility you will be admitted automatically however; there may be an exception.

What are the admission criteria?

Admission criteria are the following:  frail elderly with some difficulty leaving the home due to physical or cognitive disabilities and requiring some assistance with activities of or instrumental activities of daily living (bathing, dressing, toileting, eating, ambulation, cooking, cleaning, transportation, laundry)

What kind of insurance do you accept?

We accept Medicare, Senior Dimensions, Senior Care Plus, Prominence, TriCare, most PPO plans and all secondary insurance.

How will I schedule my appointments?

Once you have been approved to be a GSC patient, and all the appropriate admission paperwork is completed, a person from the office will call you or your family member to set up your initial appointment.  Appointments thereafter will be decided upon by your provider.  If you need to be seen prior to  the next scheduled appointment,  please call 398-1981.

Who will come see me in my place of residence?

We have doctors, advanced nurse practitioners and physician assistants in our practice. You will be assigned a provider that either currently comes to your facility or based on geographic area. 

What if I have a health concern prior to the next scheduled home visit?

If you are experiencing some health concerns that need attention earlier than your next scheduled visit please call the office and your nurse will triage your information and will determine a plan of care.

What happens if I need to go to the hospital?

If you believe you are experiencing an acute or life threatening health event, please contact 911 and seek emergency medical care.  The hospitalist group employed at that facility will take care of you in the hospital. It is helpful if you or your family or caregiver contact the office to inform us of this event so we can follow your progress and be notified of your discharge.

What happens if I need to go to a skilled nursing facility?

If you require skilled rehabilitation we would like to be notified and have the opportunity to follow your care. We are currently able to see patients in most skilled nursing facilities in the Reno/Sparks community.

Can I continue to see my current primary care provider?

No.  Health care can be complicated especially when someone has multiple providers. We recommend you see only one primary care provider.  However; we do coordinate care with all specialists.

Can I continue to see my specialists?

Yes.  As stated previously, we will coordinate care with current specialists involved in your care.

What happens if I need to see a new specialist?

If your primary care provider believes you need to see a specialist we have the capabilities to make that referral and will coordinate care with that provider.

Do you order home health or hospice?

Yes.  We refer to all Medicare certified home health and hospice agencies. We provide ongoing coordination of care with the preferred agency you have selected.

Does your office assist with completion of letters and forms?

Yes.  If you or your family need assistance with specific letters and forms to be completed our staff is available to assist you.